Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Day 5: Grand Falls to Woodstock

Distance: 120km
Total distance: 451.5km
Average speed: 19.6km/h
Weather: Sunny

In the morning, I parted ways with Julie and Gaston (the cycle tourists from Montreal) as they headed north and me south on the 105. Right away I felt the headwind which was the opposite of the day before but became the theme of today. The terrain was mildly undulating, a bit hillier than days prior, and I felt like I was in a children’s drawing of green hills and a windy blue river.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=11A4EKN9NlUNEd_s_tM0kVCgFfh9mEdYo
Turns out that Grand Falls was the last French speaking town in New Brunswick, which was honestly nice because I could finally have deeper conversations with people again! I have always been told about the great hospitality of the people in the Maritimes and time and time again today it proved to be true. In the 5-10min that I stopped on the side of the road to adjust my fenders, 3 different cars stopped to ask if I was okay. 
Today I was basically powered by dairy products and very little else. In Perth-Andover, I got a Swiss cheese which I carried for about 40km before consuming it all. And then in Florence-Bristol, I finally caved in after not drinking any coffee for the past 4 days and had a coffee milkshake from a road side stand. 

Rural New Brunswick was a lot of ornate houses, huge acerages, churches and cemeteries. In Hartland, there was the longest coveted bridge of the world.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Pliz8iCyr-3CqBGO4BS0ZxClWgKt-0DmM

It got hot again in the afternoon (but luckily not as hot as the first day in Quebec) and I had to dig deeper to ride the last 40km. 

At Connell Park Campground in Woodstock, I met another bike tourist who had actually left from Vancouver and was going towards Halifax. The campground host had set up a giant canopy tent and was kind enough to let us hunker down there for the night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment