Monday, May 26, 2014

Day 3: Merritt to Kamloops

Distance: 107km
Total distance: 377km
Average speed: 25.4km/h
Weather: rain turning cloudy then sunny

Today is the most scenic and shortest day yet! With only 100km or so (it's funny how 100km is a "short" ride for me now) to Kamloops I took my time and still made it to city centre by 2:15. It helped that I had a tailwind most of the way! I stayed on Highway 5A, which is basically flat except for one ascent 19km from Kamloops and gorgeous as it weaves through the Nicola valley alongside many hills, farms and lakes. I was told that many trucks take this route to save fuel as it is flatter than Highway 5, but that really wasn't an issue for me and there were many stretches where no car would come by for 20min. About 24km from Merritt is Quilchena, which had a heritage hotel (unfortunately I arrived too early and the restaurant wasn't open yet) and little gift shop. I stopped to take a look and put on a jacket as it had started raining. The rain gradually stopped as I went around Nicola and then Stump Lake, eventually making way for sun when I finally put on my sunglasses for the first time on the trip! One thought that kept going through my mind as I was riding is that I still can't believe I am actually living a dream I've always wanted. 
Once in town, I stopped at Superstore and grabbed some food for lunch and dinner. Now I'm chilling at Tim Hortons before biking back up the Summit Drive hill (the new frozen green tea is nasty by the way). I think I'm going to go find a park to lie in the sun before my host Linda comes home from work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment