Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Day 5: Salmon Arm to Revelstoke

Distance: 104km
Total distance: 606km
Average speed: 22.6km/h
Weather: rain until the final stretch

After staying up until almost 12 watching The Bachlorette with the Frasers, I woke up this morning to some rain. I tried to wait it out and watched the French Open with Jim before he went to work. There was no sign of it subsiding and plus I was getting antsy, so eventually I tied plastic bags around my socks and loaded up my bike. Saying goodbye to the wonderful hosts I meet is always the hardest part. Riding in the rain actually wasn't that bad, fenders, which I have never had until recently, kept my butt, the most important part, dry. The liquid sunshine does require extra caution (especially around the windy corners) and makes me less want to stop. I didn't bother to take any extended time even for lunch and pushed through the rolling 100km (only one major climb up Eagle Pass) to Revelstoke, stopping only in Sicamous and the Last Spike at Cragellachie to look around and attempt to dry my gloves. A cool part about biking on a highway is that you have time to clearly read every roadside sign. Some of my favourites were the Enchanted Forest and Crazy Creek Resort. Somewhere around Three Valley Gap the rain stopped and a bit of the sun even came out. I got my first view of the magnificent Rockies in the last descent into Revelstoke and couldn't help but smile. 





I ran into Ann Marie as she and her son were leaving their house and she graciously said to go inside to have a shower. Sarah was suppose to host me here but she had a full house today so she put me up with her friend. I can't thank both of them enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment