Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 41: Brownsburg-Chatham to Montreal

Distance: 94km
Total distance: 5131km
Average speed: 23.5km/h
Weather: cloudy with some sprinkles

Thanks to the farmer's bedtime of 10 I was up at 6:30 this morning! I still hung around until about 9 talking to the women before they had to go out to the fields. Leaving the farm, I dropped down to Highway 344 which was right by the water. After a really nice stretch of Route Verte through Oka Provincial Park, I crossed a little non-motor vehicle bridge to Laval before going over another bridge to Montreal. I never knew that Montreal is an island! My first impression was that everything looked really old (not necessarily in a bad way) and then I realized that the correct description is heritage. Arriving at Alex and Tessa's apartment in Plateau at 1:30, I took a break before going off to explore Montreal for the afternoon. I decided to go on foot for a change so that I didn't have to worry about getting my bike afterwards. I went down to the Old Port and climbed up the Clock Tower. Then I made my way to Old Montreal and had a taste of what being in Europe must be like! It's pretty cool that this was the birthplace of the city and the tall stone buildings and architecture definitely took you back in time. Eventually I stumbled upon the Jazz Festival at Place des Arts. I lost myself in the really good street performers and bands playing. It's amazing that this was completely free! In the evening I met up with Bonnie and she showed me around the McGill campus before we went up to Mont Royal for another spectacular view overlooking the city. Montreal is one cool place and I can't wait to come back here in the next few weeks!














No comments:

Post a Comment