Sunday, June 8, 2014

Day 16: Brandon to Winnipeg

Distance: 224km
Total distance: 2464km
Average speed: 25.6km/h
Weather: sunny with a thunderstorm

Sarah from Swift Current had told me to not stay in Portage la Prairie as apparently there is a lot crime there. Given the fast progress I've made this week, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to push for another big day to bypass it. I might have bet too much on the wind, but nevertheless I made it to Winnipeg! Today's westerly wind wasn't nearly as strong as it had been, and for the last 60km or so there was even a slight headwind, which meant that I actually needed to use my legs. What a difference that was! Usually I try to find somewhere decent to stop like a rest area or gas station, but today I ended up a few times stopping just on the side of the highway because I was too lazy to find a good spot. I didn't realize how big and spread out Winnipeg is. It took like an hour from the edge of the city to my hosts Pam and Kevin's house in Minnetonka. I was pretty spent when I arrived just before 7 but Pam was absolutely amazing and had food and everything ready for me, despite having to leave early tomorrow to drop off her son at the airport who's going to see the World Cup in Brazil.
The landscape has changed gradually since Saskatchewan. It's become more green than yellow with more trees appearing, and farmland is more sparse, being replaced by endless fields of grass. Soon the hills will return, although contrary to belief the prairies are not completely devoid of them! The part of Saskatchewan west of Regina is actually pretty rolling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment