Friday, June 13, 2014

Day 21: Fort Frances to Sapawe

Distance: 160km
Total distance: 2981km
Average speed: 24.9km/h
Weather: sunny!

When I saw the sunshine filtering through my window this morning, I knew it was going to be a great day, nevermind that it was Friday the 13th and that the mayor of Fort Frances declared the flood yesterday a state of emergency. After the best omelette that I have ever had thanks to Robin, I said farewell to the Stearns family and of course somehow took the wrong turn on Reef Point Road on the way out to the highway. Eventually I got on track and was having a blast again on Ontario's gentle rolling roads. Being a Friday, everybody was going out to their cottages with their boats or canoes. Today was an example of a perfect riding day, with ideal temperatures, slight breeze, and not a cloud in the sky. I took a quick bathroom break at the Mine Centre School, the town which used to have a gold mine. Just after that, a man on a motorcycle caught up to me and called my name. It turns out that he's the father of Katarina Bjorkman in Atikokan who I had hastily emailed on Couchsurfing three days ago, and had sent me a text message soon after he saw the email offering to let me stay at their place (which I had not received until after this encounter thanks to the terrible reception my phone has had ever since I left BC). He and his wife are going to International Falls for some errands for the day, but are coming back to tend their horses this evening. We arranged to meet at the Sapawe Corner Diner, which is where I am now after having sampled their yummy coconut cream pie and lemonade, since their house was up a gravel road. I can't believe how lucky I am as I had all but planned to be eaten alive again at Quetico Provincial Park tonight. The road leading to Atikokan had some construction stop and go's and every time the workers would go above and beyond to make sure they sent me far apart from cars. Soon enough I got to the Atikokan Visitor Bureau where I met another cross-country cyclist Peter. He left Victoria on May 4th and was going to Nova Scotia. We shared stories about our trip thus far before he took off for Crystal Lake Resort. I tried to convince him that Thunder Bay is doable in a day so I hope to see him tomorrow! After a lovely chat with the lady in the visitor centre, I rode the quick last 20km to the turnoff for Sapawe. Going to hang out by Sapawe Lake for a while and maybe jump in the water!





No comments:

Post a Comment