Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day 32: Sudbury to North Bay

Distance: 152km
Total distance: 4365km
Average speed: 21.8km/h
Weather: overcast turning to rain

At 9:30 I said goodbye to Sarah, the baby and Phil's mother, and left hazy industrial Sudbury on the bypass. Today wasn't the most scenic ride (the grey weather didn't help) and the shoulder was probably the worst I've had. Until now Highway 17 has actually been fairly good by my standards, unlike the horror stories that I've heard from others. I went through several small towns before taking a peanut butter break in Warren. I met the tremendous kindness of strangers again when I received a text message from Kim offering me a last minute place in her house in North Bay. The rain started for the second part of the ride and stayed with me all the way to North Bay. I didn't mind it too much as it was quite humid and the rain helped to cool me down. I passed Sturgeon Falls then went along Lake Nipissing, passing a viewpoint that wasn't particularly spectacular today, before arriving at Kim and Terry's place by the airport. They've hosted all sorts of cross-country people, everything from motorcyclists to those on segways, but never a cyclist so I was proud to be their first! We had hotdogs for supper and I got to hear all about their travels throughout the country, including when Terry went to the Arctic Circle! Now I am only 360km from Ottawa but it's still a week until Canada Day so I need to figure out how to stall these next few days, a problem I never thought I would have!
In case you're wondering, the average speed on my bike computer stopped working so I've been calculating it manually, although it seems a bit off because my average speed seems have gotten quite a bit slower despite the terrain being easier after the Soo. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment