Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Day 26: Terrace Bay to Marathon

Distance: 97km
Total distance: 3503km
Average speed: 19.6km/h
Weather: sunny

There is nothing quite like waking up on a gorgeous beach all by yourself, and I wanted to savor it so I didn't get out of bed until 8. I took my time packing up and bid Terrace Bay farewell after getting a large cup of mocha at the motel. It was another headwind kind of day but otherwise excellent weather so I told myself to suck it up. Up and down I went to about 5km before Neys Provincial Park where I had a gel break. Then I took a little detour into the park and found the most gorgeous spot at Prisoners Cove to sunbathe (not that my skin needed any more sun!). There was the perfect flat rock just a bit in the water and I ended up taking a nap there for almost an hour. Back out on the highway, it was only 25km or so to Marathon and I remembered Frank telling me about the secret jewel of Mink Creek Falls in this area. I saw the sign for Mink Creek but didn't see any trail turnoffs so I stopped and asked someone parked on the side where it was. Luckily I had just passed it so I rode back down the hill and stopped at a dirt road that he'd described. It just happened that David was there too! I walked across the highway and sure enough there was a little overgrown but obvious path that led to the falls. The water cascading down sprayed a cool mist in the air that felt amazing on my scorching skin. When I came back out David was still waiting for Anne so I said I'd catch him later and did the final 20km or so to Marathon. I got to my host Jillian's house just before 5 and was greeted by her two eager dogs. A game of Yahtzee was in order after dinner and now it's off to bed!




No comments:

Post a Comment