Sunday, June 29, 2014

Day 37: Ottawa City Tour

Distance: 29km
Total distance: 4823km
Average speed: 19.3km/h
Weather: sunny

After a solid 9 hours of sleep, the Warden family were just about to leave for an overnight trip to the Thousand Islands when I woke up. I can't thank them enough for letting me stay while they are gone. I lounged around the house until almost noon before heading out for a tour of the capital. Riding back along the Canal, I stopped at Parliament Hill and stood for the longest time admiring the beautiful buildings and statues of important historical figures. Unfortunately tickets for the tour of the inside were all gone today. There was already the stage setup for Canada Day and for a while a French band was even playing on it. I locked my bike right beside the parliamentary buildings and walked down to the Locks where I watched the fascinating process of a boat getting lowered from the canal down to the river. Afterwards I went in the Chateau Laurier and the Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica. In the afternoon I walked to the Byward Markets and spent quite a long time watching the street performers and checking out the multitude of shops. It's incredible that this has been here since the 19th century! On the way back to Parliament Hill, I walked along Sparks Street Mall, which was pretty quiet being a Sunday. Because I just couldn't get enough I sat down on the lawn of Parliament Hill again and watched the hosts rehearse for the Canada Day celebration. Eventually I got my bike and rode down Sussex Drive. It's not everyday that you can ride right up to Rideau Hall and the Official Residence of the Prime Minister! On the way back I also stopped at Rideau Falls and took in the magnificent view of the Ottawa River and the foothills on the Quebec side. I love that Ottawa is so rich of both cultural and natural beauty.












No comments:

Post a Comment