Sunday, June 22, 2014

Day 30: Thessalon to Blind River

Distance: 52km
Total distance: 4070km
Average speed: 21.7km/h
Weather: sunny

Happy summer solstice! Like always it was quite the relaxed morning as we listened to some of Tome's favourite bands over coffee and then tea. Full of fresh eggs with rice, I said goodbye to Tome, his cats and chickens as I got back onto the highway. A very leisurely ride along the North Channel of Lake Huron had me at the Blind River Tim Hortons. I was about to head on when I saw an email from hosts Muriel and Wayne. I went to go visit them and since I've covered so much more distance than planned the last three days spontaneously decided to stay here for the night and ride to Sudbury tomorrow. The Orton family live in a beautiful house with a wide open yard and dock right alongside the Blind River. They are big cyclists; both Muriel and Wayne have ridden across the country and their son competes in road cycling at the national level, so there was no shortage of bike talk! After lunch Muriel and I went to a gorgeous sandy beach close to town and swam in the warm waters of Lake Huron. When we came back I helped Muriel weed the garden for a while before we had a wonderful BBQ dinner on the patio. Afterwards we took the kayaks out to explore the surrounding islands and it was just the most magical thing with the sunset staining the sky purple and dragonflies dancing around our heads. We even saw a muskrat! I can't even say how glad I am to have stopped!








No comments:

Post a Comment