Friday, June 20, 2014

Day 28: Wawa to Agawa Crafts (just past Pancake Provincial Park)

Distance: 162km
Total distance: 3856km
Average speed: 22.3km/h
Weather: overcast with a sprinkle

Another day of evening riding! Mainly because as soon as I stop the mosquitoes would attack; they're just about as bad as that day in Whiteshell here. I slept in until 8:30 this morning and then had a nice chat with John about long distance touring over coffee and oatmeal. When I left at 10:30 though the other two guys weren't even up yet! A short ride had me in Lake Superior Provincial Park, where I spent a good part of the day. After going down a stretch of road that seemed like it was going to end up in the lake, I came upon at Old Woman's Bay, so named because the cliff side had the face of an old woman. Every view of Lake Superior takes your breath away and I can't believe I've almost gone around the world's largest fresh water lake. Later in the day I also stopped at Katherine Cove and the Agawa Bay Visitor Centre. Agawa Bay used to be a rest stop for the voyageurs during the fur trade. Reluctantly I left the park and passed the small settlement of Montreal River which is the mouth of the Montreal River. Crazy to think I'm actually somewhat close to Quebec! I bought some macaroni and beef at Northgate Service Station and  was going to look for somewhere to camp close by, except that when I got to Alona Bay and talked to some friendly people they said there was nothing until Pancake Bay 20km away. It actually was more like 35km, but I didn't mind the extra distance. I went in the park and rode around all the campsites before deciding to check out the Agawa Crafts store down the road. I got there at 8:30 and they were just about to close but a nice staff said I could camp by the house on the side and even come back in the morning to take a shower. An ice cream later I am hiding away from the bugs in my bivy, hoping they'd be a bit better than by the water in Pancake Bay but no such luck.






No comments:

Post a Comment