Sunday, June 1, 2014

Day 9: Canmore to Calgary

Distance: 120km
Total distance: 1075km
Average speed: 25.1km/h
Weather: sunny with a little thunderstorm

Welcome to the prairies! The mountains have always been there and it was very nostalgic as I bid them farewell for good for the next little bit when they became replaced by hillsides and farms. After an amazing breakfast of cooked grains and the best coffee I've had so far on this trip, I said goodbye to Katja and Yves and got on the Bow Valley Trail. Although the road was still gently rolling, it's the easiest riding I've had so far and I made good time to the coffee shop in Cochrane where I met Jenn. It was so nice of her to ride out to lead me back to her house, and being in a big city again, I definitely don't think I would have navigated all those bike paths as smoothly on my own! On the way to Calgary we got caught in a little thunderstorm complete with lightning and everything, but fortunately it was over in 15min or so and Mr. Sun came out right after again. I also got my first taste of prairie winds (luckily it was mainly a tailwind for us). We got to her house just before 4, which left lots of time to clean our chains, shower, relax and catch up. A huge thanks to the awesome Bhatla family for hosting me. I am excited to venture further east than I have ever been in Canada tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment