Monday, June 23, 2014

Day 31: Blind River to Sudbury

Distance: 142km
Total distance: 4213km
Average speed: 21.7km/h
Weather: overcast

Another hard goodbye with the Ortons later, I got on the road at 10 and rode all the way to the turnoff for Espanola before taking a break. I looked around the gift shop Northwest Trading Company and the wonderful smell of maple syrup tempted me to try some of their maple fudge. The traffic became noticeably busier after Espanola, such that I actually had to go onto the gravel when two trucks came face to face from opposite directions. I was so focused on staying in the narrow strip of shoulder that the last 40km or so went by like a blur. It was nice to turn off onto the calmer old Highway 17 on the outer edge of Sudbury and I arrived at my host Phil and Sarah's place in Naughton around 5:30. They've just had a baby so it's quite the houseful. After dinner I got a tour of their chickens, orchard, garden, duck pond and even a mini vineyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment