Monday, June 16, 2014

Day 24: Thunder Bay to Nipigon

Distance: 121km
Total distance: 3291km
Average speed: 24.2km/h
Weather: sunny

I have always been intrigued and amazed by what the human body can do, a big reason why I studied kinesiology, but this trip had shown me what the human body can accomplish on a whole new level. After a day like yesterday where every morsel of my being went into fighting the wind, I still manage to wake up energized for another day's ride; of course, it helps that there's the warm sun and a nice wind behind your back. This morning all of us cyclists sat around chatting after breakfast and didn't start moving until 10. Reluctantly, Anne, David and I said goodbye to Paola and Reto, the couple going to Mexico, as they were going to stay in Thunder Bay for another night. Frank runs bike tours for people and gave us great directions for good stops between here and Sault Ste. Marie. I stopped at the Marina Park in town at his suggestion to check out the Sleeping Giant, which is a big natural rock formation of a giant lying down located in the park of the same name. That was also my first view of Lake Superior, and I couldn't believe how vast it was. You couldn't see the other end, such that it seemed almost like the ocean. At the Terry Fox Monument, I reunited with Anne and David. Terry Fox had ran along most of where I biked today, and was definitely on my mind for a good part of the day. Leaving Thunder Bay, I stayed on quiet Lakeshore Drive. Once I got on the highway, there were lots of signs for amythest mines, which is also Ontario's gemstone. I was told the hills really start after Thunder Bay but today it was definitely more down than up. Passing through Dorion and the turnoff for Red Rocks, I reached the Nipigon Visitor Centre at 3:30 and got some postcards for mailing. Later I made my way to my host Sue and Gord's place and am happy as a clam after some yummy fajitas for dinner. Sue tells me that the next stretch along Lake Superior is one of the most beautiful parts of Canada and I simply cannot wait. 







No comments:

Post a Comment