Monday, June 30, 2014

Day 38: Ottawa to Gatineau Park and back

Distance: 78km
Total distance: 4901km
Average speed: 20.8km/h
Weather: sunny

Somehow I managed to sleep for 11 hours last night and didn't wake up until 10 this morning. I rode across the Portage Bridge to Gatineau and got on the Gatineau Parkway in the park. It was a cyclist's haven with miles of quiet rolling windy roads. They even close them just for pedestrians and cyclists on the weekend. Many cyclists come over for hill training since Ottawa is so flat. I first got to Pink Lake, an unusual lake because it is meromictic, meaning that its upper and lower levels of water never mix. Then I stopped at the nice and cool visitor centre and learned about how the Champlain Sea flooded the Canadian Shield many many years ago. The highlight of the day was getting up to Champlain Lookout, which although not super high by BC standards had a magnificent view of the Ottawa River Valley. I met some wonderful travelers from Mexico who decided to get the attention of everyone there to let them know that I'd biked from Vancouver! I finished the loop with quick stops also at Huron and Etienne-Brûlée lookouts before riding back to Ottawa. Coming over the Alexandra Bridge I was again taken away by the Parliament Buildings. Day 2 of Ottawa continues to impress me in every way.










No comments:

Post a Comment